On the north side of the bottom part of the square is the town loggia with a clock tower from the 15th century, which together are the only remains of the former Governor's Palace. The Palace was already completed in the middle of the 14th century as an impressive building with four towers.
The town loggia was demolished by the Turkish raids of 1571 and rebuilt in a fine Renaissance style at the beginning of the 17th century by the Croatian mason master Trifun Bokanic. The measured harmony of the arches of the facade is underlined by a row of pillars above which, and beneath the bead-moulding of the balustrade, one can see a frieze of grotesque stone heads. From 1868 the loggia functions as a coffee house. Today, the interior of the loggia is decorated in a neo-Renaissance style and serves as a reception hall and exhibition room not only for the hotel "Palace", but for the town of Hvar, as well.
Of the former four towers of the Governor's Palace, the clock tower from the end of the 15th century, renovated in the 18th and the 19th century, is the only one remaining. The loggia and the clock tower are a part of the "Palace" today, which was built where the Governor's Palace once stood. The only remains of the Governor's Palace are two relieves of the Venetian lion, a large well and a lintel from the Palace chapel from 1612.